Pages

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Event report: TAFF - Turku animation film festival






Moi!
TAFF is the Turku animation film festival (Finland) and is 2 years old (born in 2016).

Last year I have been partecipating with an animated loop, this year my short film MERLOT was selected and I had the great chance to be there.
The submissions for the films were this year in April.

I came back home today, so I will tell you now my fresh feedback and experience at this incredible festival.


TAFF 2017, 23rd-27th August


Turku is a little city, 2 hours from Helsinki, Finland.
It's theoretically the third largest city in the country, but it doesn't mean much, because it's actually very small. Turku is nice, on the sea and pretty well connected with Helsinki and its airport by train and bus. Turku has also its own airport, which is around 15 min away from the city itself.


The festival is small, cosy and nice! The main venue is Manilla Factory, on the river, and here are three screening places. There are two more, one on the Hotel ship Borea and the other one in Logomo, nice area on the other side of the city (here the Junior selection has been screened for schools).
I think this festival has a perfect size, that allows networking and good connections with the other partecipants of the festival.

As guest of the festival, I have been staying with the other guests (around 30 people) in "the villa", an amazing summer house in the
Ruissalo natural reserve area, on the sea, surrounded by woods and with a classical finnish sauna included! Perfect way to break the ice and get suddenly immersed into the right atmosphere. Living all together in that nice house in the middle of the forest incentivize further the social component.

The organisation is great: all the people involved are very nice, young, friendly and careful and I really felt welcomed and at ease. Finnish people for sure know how to party properly!

I really hope I'll have the chance to come back to Turku again and also to see again all the incredible people I met.

Thank you everyone, who contributed to make my stay so pleasant!

Click here to see the final illustration I did as souvenir from the Turku experience:


http://giulia-martinelli-ronco.tumblr.com/image/164871312367




No comments:

Post a Comment